Re: Anti-Linux SMP FUD

Chris Wedgwood (cw@ix.net.nz)
Fri, 5 Feb 1999 16:52:36 +1300

On Sat, Jan 30, 1999 at 09:39:35PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:

> Partly the paths are nothing like as serialized as you might think.
> Sct has also done some patches (which DaveM then extended a lot) to
> drop kernel locks during cached data copies too.

Something I see often, is that having two processes running on an SMP
box, accessing different devices, on different spindles -- when one
process is writing data out, the other pretty much blocks in a D
state.

This is frustrating to say the least and I haven't the faintest idea
on how I might fix this.....

-cw