Re: Kernel interface changes (was Re: cdrecord problems on

Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Fri, 5 Feb 1999 03:39:02 +0000 (GMT)

> Khimenko Victor <khim@sch57.msk.ru> writes:
> > Why you must rebuild 1000's of client machines ? You should compile kernel
> > anyway to make upgrade -- why not compile all needed modules as well ????
>
> Because they don't have the source for those modules -- the company
> that created them have the source.

Thats an extreme situation though. I think everyone is happy about it for
binary compatibility at application levels. Juggling this kind of stuff to
suit IBM's own problems isn't trivial. I think people have a right to expect
2.2.* to run binaries identically (well barring bug fixes meaning they now
work right!) but at the module level its far from trivial.

Alan