What the h-ll.. [Was: Re: A module bug in 2.2.1?]

Bjorn Ekwall (bj0rn@blox.se)
Fri, 5 Feb 1999 00:31:44 +0100 (CET)

Marcin Dalecki (dalecki@cs.net.pl) wrote:

> Since I wrote modprobe and depmod I know at least what they where doing
> until the 2.1.45 relase.

Just to clear things up: modprobe and depmod was originally written by
Jaques Gelinas <jack@solucorp.qc.ca> and noone else!
I worked very closely with him during those days, since I was the maintainer
of the "modules-x.y.z" series, so I know this for a fact.

The version in the modutils package is really just a port from C++ to C.
I have no problems recognizing my own code even if the comments were changed.
That the copyright notices in the original suddenly vanished, as well as any
mention of Jacques or me (or even a credit) was perhaps an effect of a flawed
automatic port??? I mean, in C++ comments are marked with "//", not "/*",
so the credits just happened to get lost in the process???
I don't like to start using words like "stealing", but I'm very close to do it.

I'm sad that this is the side-effect of me spending two years in China,
(behind the Great Firewall), since that disconnected from the Linux world.
Otherwise I should have raised my voice earlier...

I agree that insmod and modprobe should be integrated into one executable,
which was the plan Jacques and I had, although the limited time before 2.0.0
made us decide to postpone it at that time.

That is all I agree.

I'll not bother to comment the rest of your post, since I'm angry enough already.

Björn Ekwall <bj0rn@blox.se>