Re: Hardlinks/SymLinks in the vfat filesystem?

CaT (cat@zip.com.au)
Fri, 5 Feb 1999 09:27:28 +1100 (EST)

Richard B. Johnson wrote the following:

> On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
>

> > On 04-Feb-99 Riley Williams wrote:
> > > Can I ask whether Hardlinks or SymLinks are supposed to work in the
> > > vfat file system?
> >
> > No. Vfat doesn't have any notion remotely related to symlinks or hard links.
> >

> Note that you can make an ext2-fs simlink that points to a file or
> directory on a mounted MS-DOS file system!

Yeah but that's because you're creating in ext2 which is clueful about
such things. for vfat you'd have to create an evil translator that takes
.lnk files and translates them to symlinks and vice versa. And it would
have to do it transparently. And then you'd have to wonder what windows
would think of a .lnk file that pointed to a partition it doesn't think
exists. :)

Sounds like fun to me. :)

--
CaT (cat@zip.net.au)                       URL: http://www.zip.com.au/dev/null

There was farting in the air that night, It lit so bright, Fernando...