Re: Cx486SRx2 (Re: cx5x86mod)

Craig I. Hagan (hagan@cih.com)
04 Feb 1999 14:34:24 -0500

"Anthony Barbachan" <barbacha@Hinako.AMBusiness.com> writes:

> I just picked up a Cyrix Cx486SRx2 386 to 486 upgrade chip for $5 to play
> around with. From what I remember this chip has a 1K cache which has to be
> turned on by a driver. I also remember seeing a patch for enabling the
> cache on this chip on some FTP site a long time ago. Does anybody know if
> this patch has been incorporated into the new kernel? If not I may wip up a
> new patch myself.

i've one of these things, i don't use a patched linux kernel
as it is a pain to keep up to date.
Instead, i use the "cyrix" utility (sunsite,
/pub/Linux/system/hardware/cyrix-1.00.tar.gz) which lets
you mess with the cyrix registers for the 486DLC/SLC
directly.

my exact usage is:

/bin/cyrix -i2 -i3 -i4 -r -c -f -b -k- -e -xCC00,16
modprobe bogo.o

which boosts me to 22.08 bogomips.
The machine feels about the same speed as a 486sx2/50 (i have
one of these, too).

-- craig

Craig I. Hagan "It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to back it up"
hagan(at)cih.com "True hackers don't die, their ttl expires"
"It takes a village to raise an idiot, but an idiot can raze a village"

Stop the spread of spam, use a sendmail condom!
http://www.cih.com/~hagan/smtpd-hacks

In Bandwidth we trust