Re: Linux-2.2.0 bad VM behaviour "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdc bs=256k"

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@e-mind.com)
Thu, 4 Feb 1999 16:59:20 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

> In other words, if the number of dirty buffers grows too excessive, then
> we kick of a round of bdflush _and_ wait for the IO to complete,

Agreed. I agree completly with this solution. Waking up faster kflushd as
suggested by Linus had no way to avoid the dirty MM bomb (kflushd is just
wakenup in a rasonable time now, and btw it's behavior it's just completly
customizable via sysctl).

> I'm going to try out combinations of the above on large and small
> machines to make sure we get something which doesn't impact normal
> performance too badly, but I suspect that a simple change like the above
> in refile_buffer will be enough to cure the complete memory anihilating
> behaviour of the new, lean buffer cache code.

I think yes. I have not checked the code yet though.

Andrea Arcangeli