Re: linux capabilities and ACLs

Andrew Morgan (morgan@transmeta.com)
Wed, 03 Feb 1999 23:31:22 -0800

David Watson wrote:
> I've been playing with the capabilities stuff in the 2.2.1 kernel, but
> can't seem to find any mention of it anywhere on the web. Who is
> maintaining this code, and where can I find information on
> status/plans/progress?

ftp://linux.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/security/linux-privs/kernel-2.2/

There is more info here:

ftp://ftp.guardian.no/pub/free/linux/capabilities/capfaq.txt

http://www.progressive-comp.com/Lists/?l=linux-kernel&s=Capabilities+morgan

http://www.progressive-comp.com/Lists/?l=linux-kernel&s=Capabilities+astor

At this point, ACLs are awaiting Remy Card's completion. I believe there
are patches floating around..

Capabilities are currently missing VFS support (this was vetoed for 2.2)

I'm not aware that anyone has working code for the other POSIX 6 stuff.

Ted Ts'o holds the keys to the linux-privs@mit.edu email list that was
used to coordinate the capability code.

Hope that helps...

Cheers