Re: using more than 2 GB as a ram disk

Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Thu, 4 Feb 1999 01:28:10 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 3 Feb 1999, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:

> Yes, platter->head transfer speed could become a factor.
> You can get 16 gigabytes of cache on a RAID box from EMC.
> (for those reading this with tired eyes, I wrote "giga" above)
>
> Get some real hardware. Get the kind that kills you if it falls over.

Albert, if you can buy a PDP-10 - do it and please, pay a shipment fee
and send it to me. I'll pay electricity bill and will port Linux to the
beast. Now, *that* will be the port of Linux to *real* hardware. Please,
find a KL-based box. KA's pager sucked boulders through the straw. SMP
KL-10 would be especially nice, but UP is OK too. Oh, if you can buy me a
TOED-1 I'ld be more than grateful. It's just $10000-$100000. Not a big
deal, right?

> > other traffic. Now, since you rarely have 8Mb filled with the data you'll
> > get ~1e4% overhead on that stuff. For most of the processes it will mean
> > pure and simple *swapping*.
>
> You are thinking too small. Think of multi-gigabyte processes.
> The overhead for your shell would be lost in the noise.
> People needing this hack won't miss a few hundred megabytes of RAM.

Yaaaawn....

> > And it buys you what? 256Gb? Sheesh... How
> > many processes have RSS>8Mb? Now each of them got at least 24Mb. Great.
> > Oh, and COW becomes *very* interesting exercise. So fork() becomes a
> > bitch. Great. exec() also looks nice - you have to do at least one pagein
> > to start execution. Oh, and while we are at it - what will be the size of
> > your swap?
>
> I'd say a half-terabyte RAID box for swap looks good. Just connect it
> to your I2O Fibre Channel card.
>
> Then again, maybe you just want to keep a 60 GB process in memory.
> It would not be fun to thrash 60 GB.

Or maybe you just want an Alpha. Or UltraSparc. Or XKL-10 ;-) Now,
36bit-clean UNIX would be something... AFAIK there is a port of gcc to
XKL-10, so it could be done.