Re: Ctrl-Scroll

Ian Eure (ieure@crosssound.narrows.com)
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 05:43:49 -0800

On Wed, Feb 03, 1999 at 01:34:24PM -0600, Erik Parker wrote:
> Out of pure bordom at work, I stumbled upon
> Ctrl-Scroll lock, and Shift-Scroll lock.
>
> For those of you who aren't aware of what they do.
> At console, without being logged in, you can hit either key combo.
>
> Ctrl-scroll shows you all processes running, their pids, their child
> processes, and any sibling processes, and stack info and such.
>
> shift-scroll shows you memory, and swap info.
>
> Is there a way to disable this feature at compile time, or would I have to
> edit source somewhere? I dont like the ctrl-scroll feature. I like how it
> logs to kernel log, but I wish it would log the same info, instead it just
> does
>
> Feb 3 13:20:59 pm3-01 kernel: Total network buffer allocations : 37970547
> Feb 3 13:20:59 pm3-01 kernel: Total failed network buffer allocs : 0
> Feb 3 13:20:59 pm3-01 kernel: Total free while locked events : 1624
> Feb 3 13:20:59 pm3-01 kernel: IP fragment buffer size : 0
>
> Things of that nature. Anyhow. Anyone to remove it from happening?
> It is also a potential DoS, if someone walked by one of my machines, and
> just put a couple weights on the ctrl-scroll keys, the workload jumps, and
> it kinda goes crazy, because it keeps tossing that output.

Dunno if you can drop it into syslog, but you sure can disable it.

``dumpkeys >securekey.map''

--snip--
keycode 70 = Scroll_Lock Show_Memory Show_Registers Show_State
alt keycode 70 = Scroll_Lock
--snip--
changing the Show_* entries to "nul", then ``loadkeys securekey.map''
should cure your woes.

``man loadkeys'' et al might also be useful :)