Re: 2.2.1, TCP connect failure never times out

Andi Kleen (ak@muc.de)
03 Feb 1999 22:15:52 +0100

In article <vxkemo71hr2.fsf@beaver.jprc.com>,
karl@justresearch.com (Karl Kleinpaste) writes:
> RH5.2 w/2.2.1, aiming at any random host that's unreachable:
> [1053] [12:51:43] beaver:~> telnet news.redhat.com nntp
> Trying 199.183.24.231...
> [ minutes pass ]
> [ drumming fingers on desk ]
> [ finally hit ^C ]

> [1054] [12:58:54] beaver:~>

> I first noticed this because Gnus inside XEmacs was trying to make
> essentially this same connection, hanging XEmacs entirely as a result.

> It seems to be generally the case for me, that attempts to contact
> unavailable hosts w/TCP just don't ever give up and return ETIMEDOUT.

> Is my experience unusual? Or is something seriously wrong?

Nothing to add to what Alan said, except that you can tune it globally
with the /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_syn_retries sysctl. It defines how often
the initial SYN is retransmitted before giving up. The delay is defined
with an exponential backup starting with the initial retransmit delay
of 3s (so you can do the math)

-Andi

--
This is like TV. I don't like TV.