Re: 2.2.0 eating up the swap file for no reason

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@e-mind.com)
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 15:32:30 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 2 Feb 1999, Mike Stubblefield wrote:

> I have a 2.20-rel 9 kernel that seems to be eating up the swap file for no
> aparent reason. Can anyone give me some things to do to start
> troubleshooting this problem - oh incidentally, the regular memoty (128m) is
> plenty free when this behavior seems to occur.

Even if your swap file seems full of data could contain nothing of useful.
You could have orpahend swap entried that are waiting to be reclaimed back
(the next time your machine will need memory). If you'll do a swapoff -a
the thing will disappear (and both some RAM and swap will be released).

I have a fix for that and it's also in my
ftp://e-mind.com/pub/linux/arca-tree/2.2.1_arca-2.gz .

Maybe leaving the swap entries in the swap cache is an optimization but
AFIK nobody did some benchmark with or without my patch.

Andrea Arcangeli