Re: k6 freeze in kernel 2.0.36

jfulmer@secnetgroup.com
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 09:21:00 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 2 Feb 1999, Thierry Danis wrote:

> I've seen some support for the 3Dnow functions of the K6-2.
> What does it mean exactly ? Faster execution ? Better context
> switching ?

3Dnow are basicly some opcodes to do some floating point operations
commonly used in 3D graphics faster than with the normal K6 FP unit.
Anyone else?

> Here is my concern :
> At home, I have one K6-2/333 (UW SCSI) and one PPro 200 (SCSI2).
> Compilation time for one source tree takes 16 minutes with the K6
> and 22 minutes with the PPro (quite good).
>
> 2 compilations + MP3 playing (x11amp) on each machine give :
> 65 minutes on the K6 and 50 minutes on the PPro.

The K6 and K6-2 floating point units aren't optimized to the point that
Intel's processors are. So when doing non-FP operations (like the bulk of
compile processes), the K6's fly. The slow down somewhat when doing FP
operations, which MP3 does heavily.

On the bright side, the K7 FP units are supposed to fly! :)