Re: k6 freeze in kernel 2.0.36

Mike A. Harris (mharris@ican.net)
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 09:03:15 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 2 Feb 1999 jfulmer@secnetgroup.com wrote:

>> I just hate to see hardware demonized because a couple
>> of random messages about trouble.
>>

>A little history: I've been building my own hardware for about 8 years
>now, using Linux for about 5. I've used only AMD processors for about 5 of
>those and have never had much of a problem at all. I am a skilled computer
>tech and this is what I do for a living.
>
>This may sound a bit defensive, but I am not demonizing the K6. I am
>saying that it seems that the higher speed chips (350+) SEEM to be having
>a problem, and I am seeking the reason why. I have already done several

I have a 350 here not running linux, that refuses to work with
Win95 or Win98 without locking up. It has an MVP3 chipset and
32M of 66Mhz memory. The board is clocked properly for the
processor and the memory is clocked for 66Mhz too. I will try
and install Linux on it if people would apreciate my test
results. Anyone interested?

Any suggestions other than getting PC100?

--
Mike A. Harris                   Linux advocate      GNU advocate
Computer Consultant                          Open Source advocate

News for nerds, stuff that matters: http://slashdot.org