RE: Makefile targets again :-) (Was Re: compile)

Greaves Tristan TM (Tristan.Greaves@icl.com)
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 11:43:25 -0000

Hi Neil,

[trim trim trim]

> I've moaned before about the almost total lack of documentation on the
> Makefile targets, but maybe nobody else gives a damn. If that's the
> case, you either parse the Makefile (and children) by hand, or you use
> the targets you feel safe with... Shame really. People could save a
> lot of time...

Even better, a level of abstraction should be added so that users don't
actually *need* to do:

make dep; make clean; make whatever-they-want-here

In other words, perhaps an option in "make xconfig" could actually do this,
with a nice GUI bar showing "Compilation in progress...".

Naturally, you could allow the user to select which sort of image they
want (bzImage, whatever...), along with documentation on what images are
suitable for different purposes.

Another step forward to making Linux more accessible...

Tris.

---
Tristan Greaves                        (Systems Integrator)
Enterprise Solutions
ICL                                  Tel: +44 (0)1344 472512
Lovelace Road                     Mobile: +44 (0)7970 194624
Bracknell RG12 8SN                  Mail: Tristan.Greaves@icl.com