Re: SLOW SLOW SLOW tar with 2.2.0

Andreas Jaeger (aj@arthur.rhein-neckar.de)
03 Feb 1999 07:52:54 +0100

> We have here at work a group NIS map with ~ 1000 entries.
> To make things go faster (logging, su, ls, etc.), we
> removed 'nisplus' and 'nis' from the group line in
> nsswitch.conf and run :
If you're only running NIS, you shouldn't use both nisplus and nis -
just nis is enough.

> $ cp -f /etc/group-orig /etc/group+
> $ ypcat group >>/etc/group+
> $ mv -f /etc/group+ /etc/group

> each time the group NIS map is modified (and regularly
> every night through a cron).

> If we don't do that, each file access last a long time,
> with a lot of request towards our NIS server (Note that
> we have to do that for our FreeBSD, NetBSD, SGI, etc.
> machines, the only machine that deal correctly with
> big NIS map beeing the SunOS and Solaris ones).

> Is there another way to obtain good performance ?
> I thought that ypbind with glibc 2.0.7 was OK, but
> it seems not, so we get stuck with our hacky solution.

As already mentioned in this thread:
glibc 2.1 will contain the Name Service Cache daemon `nscd' which caches
all excesses. Get 2.1 when it's out (or a prerelease) and run nscd -
and you should be happy again.

Andreas

--
 Andreas Jaeger   aj@arthur.rhein-neckar.de    jaeger@informatik.uni-kl.de