Re: compiling 2.2+ for pentium won't run on 486...

Mike A. Harris (mharris@ican.net)
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 02:53:52 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 2 Feb 1999, Marty Leisner wrote:

>I just built 2.2.* (for pentium) and tried it
>on a 486 machine (I don't recall processor
>being so critical).
>
>When it comes up it says:
> Kernel panic: Kernel compiled for Pentium+, requires TSC
>
>and it crashes...
>
>Shouldn't it go into a limp mode with insufficient hardware?

No. Read the documentation. Kernels *ONLY* work on the
processor that they were compiled *FOR* or a higher processor.
You cannot run a Pentium kernel of any kind on a lesser processor
anymore.

--
Mike A. Harris                   Linux advocate      GNU advocate
Computer Consultant                          Open Source advocate

News for nerds, stuff that matters: http://slashdot.org