Re: k6 freeze in kernel 2.0.36

Anthony Barbachan (barbacha@Hinako.AMBusiness.com)
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 00:04:03 -0500

>On Mon, Feb 01, 1999 at 03:44:54PM -0600, John Fulmer wrote:
>> I've been having a lot of problems with two K6-350's. If I run
>> one at full speed it segfaults very regularly during compiles,
>> and under load (like X with Netscape). I bumped it down to 333Mhz
>> and it seems to be more stable. I have tried two different
>> processors, different motherboards, different memory, and all
>> combinations of bios/bus setups. My machine at home is better,
>> but still a bit flaky. This has been with 2.0.36 and 2.1-2.2
>> kernels.
>>
>> One thing, all these are using FIC VA-503+ motherboards, with VIA
>> chipsets. I am really starting to wonder if Linux has a problem
>> with these chipsets at high speeds and AMD processors. I haven't
>> had any problem under Win95 (ack!) on the same machines. Also, I
>> have seen a bunch of similar postings like this....

Are you sure you are using 100Mhz memory? Standard SDRAM simms aren't
stable when going beyond a 75 Mhz bus. Also double check your jumpers, the
FIC's have alot of differing configurations for memory/CPU timings (for
example one allows you to use 66Mhz memory on a 100Mhz bus CPU). Also check
for any BIOS updates, I had some stability problems with earlier versions of
the 503+ BIOS.