Re: Poor PPP performance in 2.2.x

Athanasius (Athanasius@miggy.org)
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 00:21:05 +0000

On Tue, Feb 02, 1999 at 02:58:03PM -0500, David Mansfield wrote:

> >on the disk. This did not fix the problem. I tried the other settings
> >with hdparm, too, turning everything off and leaving the readahead at
> >just 2. This did not help at all. I recompiled the kernel to not
> >automatically turn on DMA as well. The next step would be to disable DMA
> >entirely in the kernel, I suppose, but it doesn't look like this DMA
> >thing is the answer, at least for me.
>
> By 'turning off everything' you really mean you turned ON the IRQ
> unmasking, right? It's kinda a double-negative, but this is what you mf
> want:
>
> hdparm -u 1 /dev/hda

That and you could look at 'irqtune', to make your 'modem' IRQ the
highest priority one, that helped on my system. It's available from at
least:

http://www.userfriendly.net/linux/RPM/contrib/libc6/i386/irqtune-0.6-1.i386.html

If you don't want an rpm, go search yaself, didn't take long to fine
that.

-Ath

--
- Athanasius = Athanasius(at)miggy.org