Re: [patch] killed tqueue_lock spinlock

Patrik Rak (patrik@raxoft.cz)
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 22:23:04 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 2 Feb 1999, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> I can't see a big difference. I still like more my version just because I

Come on. It's obvious speed up!

> like to play with the lock with sure atomic operations in task_queue()
> while run_task_queue() is spinning on the lock. And theorically some

Why? On which architecture is not assignment atomic? And that
assignment does not have to be atomic anyway, as nobody else can set the
next pointer until it is set properly and used (it's protected by the sync
bit0).

> really nowadays-crazy architecture may want to have 1 byte data at address
> -1 (really unlikely to happen I know ;).

Well, user access error handling already uses such special pointers...
And, anyway, data maybe, but *code* ? It's not ZX Spectrum (cf popular IM2
setting) :)

Patrik