Re: k6 freeze in kernel 2.0.36

jfulmer@secnetgroup.com
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 13:29:32 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 2 Feb 1999, Mark Hahn wrote:

> I just hate to see hardware demonized because a couple
> of random messages about trouble.

A little history: I've been building my own hardware for about 8 years
now, using Linux for about 5. I've used only AMD processors for about 5 of
those and have never had much of a problem at all. I am a skilled computer
tech and this is what I do for a living.

This may sound a bit defensive, but I am not demonizing the K6. I am
saying that it seems that the higher speed chips (350+) SEEM to be having
a problem, and I am seeking the reason why. I have already done several
weeks of troubleshooting the hardware, yet I can reliablly cause segfaults
that should not happen. Some other people have also had similar problems
in similar situations.

Not everyone is an idiot because their system doesn't work well, and yours
does, okay?

:)

jf