Modularizing souce (was: Re: proper place to discuss kernel 'bloatedness'?)

Andreas Barth (aba@muenchen.pro-bahn.org)
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 13:59:45 +0100

On 31 Jan 1999 21:19:34 +0100, Michael H. Warfield <mhw@wittsend.com> wrote:
> It may be worth while to consider modularizing the source bundles.
>Have a kernel "core" bundle, required for everything. Then have i386,
>sparc, alpha, etc, add-on bundles for the archetecture specific stuff.
>Make separate bundles for IPv6, appletalk, non-atapi CDROM stuff, mulimedia,
>etc. Then you just download and unpack what you want. If you configure
>something you didn't unpack, it blows up and it's a self inflicted injury.
>Configuration and Makefiles will probably get a lot more complicated just
>from error recovery and conditional builds alone.
Nice Idea.

> The whiners probably won't like this either because it will be yet
>another inconvenience to them. "Gee look at the bloat. Now we have to
>unpack three packages when we could do it with one tar command before. What's
>wrong with all you people. Can't you keep it simple for us?"
Why don't do both, complete kernel source for those who want it
and modularized for others?

Andi

--
      Andreas Barth  <aba@muenchen.pro-bahn.org>  PGP-Key auf Anforderung