Re: howto disable auto route setup?

Mike Jagdis (mike@roan.co.uk)
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 10:30:05 +0000 (GMT/BST)

On Tue, 2 Feb 1999, Sam Mortimer wrote:

> > ifconfig 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 dev eth0 up
> >
> > what route i want?
>
> erm... clearly all ip nodes addressed from 192.168.0.1 through to
> 192.168.0.254 are accessible through eth0 (or so you're ifconfig command
> infers) - why not save a bit of work and automatically add this to the
> routing table?

Because the ifconfig says that the interface exists on that network
with that address. It does not say that packets may be routed out
through that interface. That is route's job. That is the way most
network engineers I know expect things to be.

> `maybe i don't even want to have a route?' you say. ok. why not just
> simply remove the nic?

Because sometimes you want an interface that doesn't have routes
through it? Why is this such a difficult concept? That is the
way the ISDN layer works for instance.

> but you *did* set them up when you ran the ifconfig command... it was
> extra work having to run the `route' command for directly attached
> interfaces before...

So it was moved in to the kernel?!? Great...

> > this feature doesn't appear to solve any problems (if it does i'd
> > be glad to know), just creates some for me, and a lot of others.
>
> partial agreement. theoretically, solves nothing. *practically*, makes
> configuring networking under linux far easier.

If you have a simple setup, yes. But if you have a simple setup
it was all done by init scripts anyway. If you have more involved
requirements then it just becomes confusing because things you
don't expect to happen, happen.

> "it's" not broken. you're network design may be.

Or, possibly, your assumptions?

Mike

--
    A train stops at a train station, a bus stops at a bus station.
    On my desk I have a work station...