Re: Subnet Proxy ARP: Let me count the ways.

George Bonser (grep@shorelink.com)
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 01:38:01 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 2 Feb 1999, Eric Wieling wrote:

> >> It wasn't simply removed. Proxyarping subnets is very unusual , slows the
> >> general code down and can be done in user space. That makes the entire kernel
> >> case look dubious.
> >>
> >> Alan
>
> On Tue, 02 Feb 1999, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> >Thanks for posting this. Now I know that I've got about 10 routers that
> >can't be upgraded to 2.2.. Oh joy!
>
> There is a new wave of IP bridging devices out there. The ones
> that I have experience with are the Alcatel ADSL endpoints and
> the Paradyne Hotwire RADSL and MVL endpoints.

Proxy ARP of subnets is also very handy when it comes to a remote VPN
though an tunnel device. If there is a remote subnet, proxy arp makes it
appear nicely on the local net. If subnet Proxy arp has been removed, it
makes it more difficult for some VPN applications I have installed with
2.0.x to upgrade to 2.2 ... would have to proxy each IP address
individually.

George Bonser