Re: Sound and VIA

Sean Connor (sec@konatsu.ml.org)
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 21:36:33 -0600

On Tue, Feb 02, 1999 at 02:39:14AM +0200, Roman Shterenzon wrote:
> And I've the following problem (sometimes):
> Feb 2 01:48:03 mapc kernel: Sound: DMA (output) timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?
>
> But not frequently.

Yes, I've seen this, too. I assume it's a driver problem, because it
didn't appear before about 2.2.0pre7 or so.

> More important, the UDMA doesn't work:
> Feb 2 02:06:27 mapc kernel: hda: drive_cmd: status=0x51 { DriveReady
> SeekComple
> te Error }
> Feb 2 02:06:27 mapc kernel: hda: drive_cmd: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
>
> Then it falls back to DMA-2 mode.
>
> Do you think it's related, i.e. the chipset is either buggy, or maybe the
> driver.

I can't boot Linux with UDMA enabled by default -- the system hangs either
late in the kernel initalization or shortly after init is executed. However,
if I disable UDMA in the kernel, and re-enable it in my init scripts with
hdparm, it works fine.

Other people have been reporting miscellaneous DMA-related problems with
the VIA chipset as well, so I'd strongly suspect that there's something
very funky about either it, or the way Linux interacts with it. (Most
notably, the sound card crashes don't occur under Windows or DOS.)

--
  -Sean Connor  (sec@konatsu.ml.org)
                (sec@cableregina.com)         ,,,,