Re: Unicode console patch

Guest section DW (dwguest@win.tue.nl)
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 02:47:51 +0100 (MET)

From: "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@transmeta.com>

> The question is whether one wants a console that is completely
> flexible, in principle also able to handle EBCDIC or Code Page 1234,
> or do we want to stipulate in advance that the console must
> implement ISO 2022 ? For Linux, where many people live close
> to a DOS world, the single character set model may make it easier
> to interface with DOS things.

Well, we need to support multiple charsets -- at least different
versions of ISO 8859, as well as KOI-8 and the like -- as soon as
possible. 2022 seems to be the standard of choice, and I think the VT
terminal can easily be adapted to be 2022 compliant.

Yes, it is not too far from it. But:

- Code Page nnnn is not ISO 2022 compliant.
Alt and KOI-8 are not ISO 2022 either.
And Unicode does not follow ISO 2022 either.
We'll need something more general than ISO 2022 in any case.

- What do you mean: support multiple charsets?
More than one simultaneously? With escape codes switching?
And this built into the kernel?
Why not in xterm or vtterm?