Re: howto disable auto route setup?

Paul Jakma (paul@clubi.ie)
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 01:51:01 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 2 Feb 1999, Sam Mortimer wrote:
erm... clearly all ip nodes addressed from 192.168.0.1 through to
192.168.0.254 are accessible through eth0 (or so you're ifconfig command
infers) - why not save a bit of work and automatically add this to the
routing table?

cause it breaks loads of software.... why don't you read?

> maybe i want to add a policy route, and i don't want the
> "implicit" route to be up for even a millisecond. maybe i want a
> different window size, maybe i want to do a whole load of strange
> things, maybe i don't even want to have a route... who's to say
> what i want?

eh? policy route to specify what's reachable through a locally attached
interface? you should be *adding* this stuff later, after the device is
configured but before anything is listening on this interface. why would
you ever want to replace one of these "implicit" (as you call them, i call
them "you messed up you're config if you want to change them" routes ;-)?

read again: "who's to say what i want?".

`maybe i don't even want to have a route?' you say. ok. why not just
simply remove the nic?

who cares why i want it? i'm just making a silly point.. that
being: i prefer to setup my routes myself!

> having to delete/modify routes that you didn't ever setup is
> silly.

but you *did* set them up when you ran the ifconfig command... it was
extra work having to run the `route' command for directly attached
interfaces before...

read!!!!! and don't be so eager to flame...

i'm talking about *diald* and other dial-on-demand type
software!!!!!!!!! i don't set those interfaces up - diald
does!!!!!!

with or without /feature/ it's no extra work, cause it's taken
care of in scripts... or do you ifconfig your interfaces up
manually?? i sure don't. (clue: look in /etc/rc.d/)

> this feature doesn't appear to solve any problems (if it does i'd
> be glad to know), just creates some for me, and a lot of others.

partial agreement. theoretically, solves nothing. *practically*, makes
configuring networking under linux far easier.

it makes no difference. those who know, will know. those who
don't will use RedHat's spiffy control-panel. but with /feature/
diald breaks (and eric schenk hasn't touched it in a year).

> diald needs to be fixed for one. I'll have a look at it, but i'm
> not much of a coder, and it'll take me month(s) to figure it out.

how's it broken then?

route -n:

[root@jakma scratch]# route -n
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref
Use Iface
194.133.7.12 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 UH 0 0
0 ppp0
192.168.0.2 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 UH 1 0
0 sl0
192.168.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0
0 eth0
127.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 U 0 0
0 lo
0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 U 0 0
0 ppp0
0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 U 1 0
0 sl0

two default routes. far less aesthetic, than not having to 'route
...'

and from my logs whenever the link goes down:

Feb 2 00:08:44 jakma diald[429]: Nonzero exit status (7) on
command '/sbin/route add 192.168.0.2 metric 1 window 2880 dev
sl0'
Feb 2 00:08:44 jakma diald[429]: Nonzero exit status (7) on
command '/sbin/route add default metric 1 window 2880 netmask
0.0.0.0 dev sl0'

are you starting to understand??? this new requirement of the
/feature/ for the route command to *exactly* specify the
parameters breaks diald... diald is used by a lot of people.
transition period might be wise.

> if it ain't broke don't fix it...

"it's" not broken. you're network design may be.

DDDDDDDDDDIIIIIIIAAAAALLLLLLDDDDD

i'm a dial-up via modem user, of course my network is a
kludge.

-Sam.

in future, why don't you try to be helpful when you reply to
people, rather than insulting.

i wanted to know whether it was possible to disable ip_autoroute
as it doesn't work with my current setup and is unlikely to be
fixed for a while.

You and others start flaming me!

I wonder what age you are? For your sake, I hope your
aggressiveness is merely due to rampant hormones, and that you
may in time grow out of it.

regards,

--
Paul Jakma		paul@clubi.ie