Re: k6 freeze in kernel 2.0.36

Nate Thompson (nate@thebog.ml.org)
Mon, 01 Feb 1999 18:50:15 -0500

John Fulmer wrote:

> One thing, all these are using FIC VA-503+ motherboards, with VIA
> chipsets. I am really starting to wonder if Linux has a problem
> with these chipsets at high speeds and AMD processors. I haven't
> had any problem under Win95 (ack!) on the same machines. Also, I
> have seen a bunch of similar postings like this....

I have an AMD K6/2 333MHz system that has shown no problems.. It now
has 9 days uptime with 2.2.0-pre9, and before that it had ~ 1 month
uptime with 2.0.36. The motherboard is a Tyan 1590S board, VIA MVP3
chipset. I've done several kernel compiles, use it as MX mail machine,
NFS server, etc. I'm wondering if the problems people are seeing are
VIA implementation problems, not VIA problems...

At 333MHz I'm running a bus speed of ~95MHz. Are problems only
appearing at 100MHz?

For what it's worth, here's cpuinfo (from 2.2.0-pre9):

processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 5
model : 8
model name : AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor
stepping : unknown
cpu MHz : 333.521382
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
sep_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8 sep mmx 3dnow
bogomips : 665.19

-- Nate