Strange reboot behaviour (was Re: [patch] SMP fixes 2.2.1)

Charles Cazabon (charlesc-linux@qcc.sk.ca)
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 16:48:02 -0600

Tim Fletcher <tim@night-shade.demon.co.uk> wrote:
[original attribution lost]
> > With my Micronics W6-Li dual PPro180 it will reboot, but it gets stuck
> > just after the RAM check.
>
> An old AST of mine does this as well.

Out of curiosity, I have a P90 running on a Gigabyte Intel 430FX-based
motherboard -- when rebooting the box, I sometimes get the BIOS boot error
message "Memory test failed" instead of a normal memory count. This is
independent of kernel version and happens about one in three reboots.

Note that there are no other problems with the box; there's no problem with
the memory itself. It is only after rebooting Linux that this happens. Never
happens on a cold boot or after hitting the reset switch.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Charles