Re: [patch] SMP fixes 2.2.1

Tim (sailer@sailer.rhic.bnl.gov)
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 14:43:30 -0500

On Mon, Feb 01, 1999 at 08:23:33PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> > Well, my Intel Neptune board with dual P120 doesn't reboot
> > with 2.2, but it did reboot with Linux 2.0 (according to
> > the previous owner).
>
> Ditto mine with a dual P90 - specifically if I say "noapic" it can reboot
> if I let it run APIC mode it cannot. It appears to be a BIOS problem.

We had the same problem with some IBM Intellistations we are using here
for our compute farm. Sending 1 machine back to IBM resulted in a BIOS
patch, and the statement that it was a kernel problem. They claimed that
some registers were being left with 'crap' in them resulting in an incomplete
reboot. I still have the name of the engineer at IBM if anyone is interested
in talking to him.

Tim

--
 (work) sailer@bnl.gov / (home) tps@buoy.com - http://www.buoy.com/~tps
      I have never found that criticism is ever inhibited by ignorance.