Re: [linux-fbdev] Re: request_region for MMIO?

Geert Uytterhoeven (Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be)
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 14:33:27 +0100 (CET)

On 1 Feb 1999, Jes Sorensen wrote:
> >> <Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be> writes:
> Geert> Is it OK to use request_region() for claiming memory mapped I/O
> Geert> registers?
> >> Certainly not.
> >>
> Geert> Is there any good reason why
>
> Oh did I get you wrong here, do you mean PCI I/O registers that just
> happen to be mem mapped on non x86 architectures or do you actually
> mean PCI shared memory type registers?

I mean anything I can map with ioremap(). Before I map it, I have to make sure
it's not yet in use by a(nother) driver. For I/O ports, we have
request_region() for that purpose.

Greetings,

Geert

--