Re: Kernel 2.2.1 problems with modules

Greg Zornetzer (gaz@andrew.cmu.edu)
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 01:36:15 -0500 (EST)

Hi Michel,

On Mon, 1 Feb 1999, Michel Catudal wrote:

> On power up opl3 isn't loaded even though it is listed in conf.modules
> I have to use insmod to load it
What distribution are you using? Redhat? A conf.modules entry doesn't
guarantee loading of a module at boot. Also, the conventions for sound
modules have changed with 2.2. Hopefully, I'll have out a little tutorial
on it out in a bit.

> If I try to use the generic one it doesn't want to load
The generic one? It looks like you're trying to load a module from a
different kernel compile. You must use the opl3 module that you compiled
with 2.2.1.

> I get unresolved symbol opl3_detect_R67481767
> I get unresolved symbol opl3_init_R9334a7fc
>
> when I do inmod adlib_card io=0x388
>
> ppp_deflate doesn't always load, when it doesn't
> I get the following in /var/log/messages
>
> Can't locate module ppp-compress-21
> Can't locate module ppp-compress-26
> Can't locate module ppp-compress-24
You need to add the following lines to /etc/conf.modules ( I think these
are correct):
alias ppp-compress-1 off
alias ppp-compress-26 ppp_deflate
alias ppp-compress-24 ppp_deflate