Re: proper place to discuss kernel 'bloatedness'?

Wayne Schlitt (wayne@midwestcs.com)
31 Jan 1999 23:53:23 -0600

In <36B47C02.6E09F73C@sire.ddns.org> Robert Wuest <rwuest@sire.ddns.org> writes:
> Chip Salzenberg wrote:
> > Well, actually, it is. Anyone who can afford any computer at all
> > can afford a few gigabytes these days.
>
> That's not necessarily true. I work with a bunch of guys who make very
> little money and are always scrounging parts to enhance their machines.
> $200 for a disk drive is two weeks salary.
>
> [ ... ] but keeping it as small as possible is very __important__ for
> Linux's expansion onto the desktop in developing nations and hence,
> important for developers to keep in mind. Just a thought.

If the size of the kernel and the resources consumed by the OS is
really *that* important, might I suggest using something line Minix?
The author of Minix didn't make the mistakes that Linus made and kept
out a huge amount of needless bloat from becoming part of the standard
OS. I believe that Minix still runs on an 8086 with two floppies.
Minix, like WinNT, also uses a microkernel, which is a modern OS
design technique, rather than the 1950ish kernel that Linus built.

Oh, uhm, I guess I should put a :-> in here somewhere...

Seriously though, unlike Minix, Linux was never intended to be the
"smallest useful OS", rather, it is "what Linus wants it to be". I
really doubt that you will be able to convince him that the size of
Linux is a real problem, or that it is headed in the wrong direction.
I really like the glee that Linus shows when he gets a patch that
*removes* large amounts of code. It is obvious that he wants to keep
Linux lean and mean, but that doesn't mean it should be tiny.

I also respect Andy Tannenbaum for knowing what he wanted his OS to be,
and that was to be a very minimalistic OS which could be run on really
cheap hardware and small enough that comp sci students could
understand it in a semester class. He might have said a few things
that he may now regret, but I doubt that he regrets the direction he
kept Minix going in.

-wayne

--
Wayne Schlitt can not assert the truth of all statements in this
article and still be consistent.