Re: ATAPI CDRom Error

Michael K Vance (mkv102@psu.edu)
Sun, 31 Jan 1999 15:08:19 -0500

Alan Cox wrote:

> You drive got stuck and reported that to Linux. Linux duely logged it. Looks
> good to me.

What I meant was that these VFS: disk change reported type messages happen any
time I do a `cdcd eject` with the drive, as opposed to only when there was a
hardware failure. Here's the tail of my dmesg:

registered device ppp0
VFS: Disk change detected on device ide1(22,0)
hdc: packet command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdc: packet command error: error=0x40
ATAPI device hdc:
Error: Hardware error -- (Sense key=0x04)
(vendor-specific error) -- (asc=0xb6, ascq=0x00)
The failed "Start Stop Unit" packet command was:
"1b 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 "
VFS: Disk change detected on device ide1(22,0)
VFS: Disk change detected on device ide1(22,0)
VFS: Disk change detected on device ide1(22,0)
VFS: Disk change detected on device ide1(22,0)
PPP Deflate Compression module registered

Those VFS messages are just from me popping cd's in and out using cdcd.

m.

--
"Plausibility is just what it does have, Crito, rather than truth."
-- Socrates, Euthydemus