Re: Bloat thread...

Nomad the Wanderer (nomad@orci.com)
Sun, 31 Jan 1999 14:30:37 -0700

You know, People who start insulting others to make a point just show
they need a reality check. I have a P2 with 30Gigs of disk space. Great
for compiling kernels. It's not my only machine. It's the best set up of
them for just this reason. However, before I had it, it was extremely
agonizing when someone would come across with an attitude like this.

Part of the draw for linux is that it can run on anything down to a 386.
Now unless you're willing to go buy computers for everyone who doesn't have
alot of disk space to play with or provide cycles and custom kernel
compiling services, SHUT UP. It's attitudes like your that make it REAL
hard to convert people away from windows and keep em.

In article <linux.kernel.Pine.LNX.4.05.9901301538350.8112-100000@tahallah.demon.co.uk>,
Alex Buell <alex.buell@tahallah.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>On Sat, 30 Jan 1999, Michael Loftis wrote:
>
>> Since all of you seem to be closed-minded and convinced that nothing can be
>> done this is obviously the wrong place to discuss it.
>
>OK, fuckwit you asked for it.
>
>1) The size of the sources has nothing to do with the size of the compiled
>kernel.
>
>2) There's nothing stopping you from compiling the kernel on a better
>specified machine and copying the resulting binary to your under endowed
>machine

Robert L. Harris | Windows is to Unix
Senior System Administrator II | what 'hooked on phonics'
at Great West Life. \_ is to Shakespeare

http://www.orci.com/~nomad

DISCLAIMER:
These are MY OPINIONS ALONE. I speak for no-one else.

FYI: