Re: Sound: DMA (output) timed out -IRQ/DRQ config error?

Michael H. Warfield (mhw@wittsend.com)
Sat, 30 Jan 1999 20:25:09 -0500 (EST)

Jeff Rose enscribed thusly:
> "Michael H. Warfield" encouragingly wrote:

> > This was driving me nuts (ok, ok - short putt) until I saw some
> > remark about using sndconfig. I had tried different combinations of
> > esstype=????, irq=??, and dma=?? and had not gotten anything to work.
> > When I ran sndconfig, it modified my /etc/conf.modules file with the
> > following sb line:

> > options sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=0 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x300

> Ya mean: options sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=x330 ->
> NOT?

> Sob, <lazy> sob! mpu_io=0x300? arrrggghh! means my pnp ne NIC
> has to be changed to support another workable I/O! Hmmmm...
> just curious what brought the change from 2.0.* -> 2.1.* ->
> 2.2.*
> for the mpu_io= change??? And also curious if NOT selecting pnp
> since the NIC is a disabled pnp NIC...never mind, shouldn't
> matter :-P

> Hmmmm, me readum more Manuals & docs! ;-)

Weeelll.... This has been an interesting exersize... Sndconfig
changed three settings on me:

irq 10 -> 5
dma 1 -> 0
mpu_io 0x330 -> 0x300

So, thinks I, I'll just change them back, one at a time, to see
which one really IS the guilty party...

I ran "sndconfig --noautoconfig" and change each parameter back
to their original values manually.

Guess what...

You guessed it! Got back to all of the original values and they
all work! Bizzare...

One final WAG (Wild Ass Guess). There was a conflict between the
original settings for the driver and what was written to the card. Sndconfig
fixed the conflict. First, it set my parameters to what they SHOULD have
been. Then they changed the parameters for the module and wrote them out
to the card. All works... All is right with the world...

Please disregard earlier remarks about what worked and what didn't.
It's obviously all MFM ( More F*$#$@ Magic).

BTW... For those who are no "into hardware" the MFM comes from
hardware signal encoding. In particular, floppies have used three different
encoding schemes (amongst others)

Code What they say What they mean

FM Frequency Modulation F*** Magic
MFM Modified FM More F*** Magic
M2FM Modified Modified FM Much More F*** Magic

> > That worked!

> I'm gonna try to change the mpu_io= to 0x{not conflict with NIC}

> > Obviously, I have the sound system compiled as a module... :-)

> At least I did _that_ ! :-)

Try running sndconfig and see what it does! It really may make
a difference. It did for me! I raised the confusion factor right through
the roof!

> Jeff
> --

Mike