Re: Strange interrupt behavior in 2.2.0(and pre)

Gregory Maxwell (linker@z.ml.org)
Sat, 30 Jan 1999 18:30:16 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 27 Jan 1999, Alan Cox wrote:

> > I also have a 200 Mhz Pentium MMX with a soundblaster card that gives 590
> > interrupts/s when running esd. Can it be sampling something at a very high
> > speed? I was however not playing (or recording) anything while these test
> > were done. The system feels about 4 times faster when I kill esd.
>
> Ok this is because ESD doesnt stop the audio it just sits there playing
> emptiness - that also is why it burns CPU on the cyrix

I believe this is a deliberate feature to keep the device open so that
other devices cant make /dev/dsp unavailable to esd. (or for the more
paranoid, it's designed that way to get you to switch all your sound apps
to ESD).