Re: ide-tape problems (2.0.0pre7)

Douglas Ridgway (ridgway@winehq.com)
Sat, 30 Jan 1999 00:50:58 -0700 (MST)

On Sat, 30 Jan 1999, Gadi Oxman wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Jan 1999, Douglas Ridgway wrote:

> > Jan 28 23:52:11 ursula kernel: ide-tape: bug: nr_stages should be 0 now
> > Jan 28 23:52:11 ursula kernel: ide-tape: ide-tape pipeline bug
>
> Hmm.. haven't saw those debugging messages even once since I wrote the
> driver in 1995 :-)
>
> Are you running SMP (if so, does the problem occur on a non-SMP kernel)?

Yes, this is an SMP kernel. But I've had problems with UP as well.

> Can you narrow down the kernel which caused the breakage?

I don't think I've ever had reliable backups out of ide-tape. The closest
I came was with IDE-SCSI + SCSI tape.

I'll try and eliminate SMP by compiling a UP version of the latest kernel,
and seeing if it replicates with that.

The latest I/O error:
ide-tape: ht0: DSC timeout
hdc: ATAPI reset complete
ide-tape: Block location is unknown to the tape
ide-tape: ht0: I/O error, pc = 1, key = 2, asc = 4, ascq = 1
ide-tape: ht0: I/O error, pc = a, key = 2, asc = 4, ascq = 1
ide-tape: ht0: I/O error, pc = a, key = 2, asc = 4, ascq = 1
ide-tape: ht0: I/O error, pc = a, key = 2, asc = 4, ascq = 1
ide-tape: ht0: I/O error, pc = a, key = 2, asc = 4, ascq = 1

BTW, can the driver tell if the cartridge has write protect enabled? I
seem to recall trying to overwrite a write-protected tape once, and I got
one of the pc = X, key = Y, ... I/O errors. Not particularly
user-friendly, if that's the case.

doug.
ridgway@winehq.com