Re: proper place to discuss kernel 'bloatedness'?

Michael Talbot-Wilson (mtw@calypso.view.net.au)
Sat, 30 Jan 1999 14:12:41 +1030 (CST)

On Fri, 29 Jan 1999, Michael Loftis wrote:

> I've not been following the list I admit but I'd like to know what
> is being done (if anything) on the issue of the staggering size of
> the kernel source. Currently I see that 2.2.1 is around 12MB

It's been raised several times. The basic need is for someone to
work out a practical way to do it, and then do it. Linus is not
your servant. He is doing what's easy for him.

In other words, someone has to create a secondary level of source
distribution, taking the single tarball and making available a
number of smaller ones organized on an intelligible pattern. Then
that secondary distribution has to make itself credible. The
likelihood is that most people would ignore it. It would complicate
matters, after all. So it's a nice idea, but probably a thankless
task, and doesn't seem likely to go anywhere.

> Something needs to be done to control kernel bloat. It'd be nice to see

One man's bloat is another man's precious device driver.

> If this isn't the right place to discuss this issue, please RESPOND IN

It's on topic or close to it, but it's been done to death.