Re: I will _not_ start accepting patches! (or, reiserfs waits for VFS in

Hans Reiser (reiser@idiom.com)
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 22:07:29 -0800

Reiserfs is ready to support size expansion any time VFS is....

Best,

Hans

"H. Peter Anvin" wrote:

> Followup to: <78qneu$k7r$1@smurf.noris.de>
> By author: smurf@noris.de (Matthias Urlichs)
> In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel
> >
> > > Like devfs, reiserfs, lfa, ISDN, etc.?! Oh, and I hope NFS v3 will make it
> > > into v2.3... This kind of means that we leave all the size-expansion
> > > issues until v2.5?! That's ok for me, because I don't have a large machine
> > > with >1TB HD and >65536 users, but not everyone might be as happy... :)
> >
> > I think the ISDN stuff should be retrofitted to 2.2.something-or-other,
> > and the big-device-number code really should be in 2.3.early so that
> > people can start fixing all those applications which, even though they're
> > compilable with glibc these days, still use those shorts someplace.
> >

> The size expansion stuff is majorly overdue. It *has* to be in 2.3.
>
> Here are the types I suggest to change:
>
> dev_t 32 or 64 bits
> uid_t 32 bits
> gid_t 32 bits
> time_t 64 bits(??)
>
> Switch Linux to use nanosecond based time; old microsecond-based calls
> become compatibility wrappers.
>
> A reasonable compact (16 bytes) structure that would handle all
> time-based issues could look like this:
>
> struct timespec {
> s64 tv_sec; /* Seconds, signed 64-bit (UTC) */
> u32 tv_nsec; /* Nanoseconds, unsigned 32-bit */
> s32 tv_taid; /* UTC-TAI delta, signed 32-bit */
> };
>
> This is small enough that future filesystems probably could use these
> kinds of timestamps, if desirable.
>
> -hpa
> --
> "Linux is a very complete and sophisticated operating system. There
> are, and will be, large numbers of applications available for it."
> -- Paul Maritz, Vice President for platforms and applications,
> Microsoft Corporation
>
> -

Do you like going slow?  Dump NT! Get Linux
(http://www.kernel.org) plus ReiserFS (http://devlinux.org/namesys).
If you sell an OS or internet appliance, buy a port of ReiserFS!
Speed matters.  Trees are fast.  Go faster!