Re: I will _not_ start accepting patches!

David Weinehall (tao@acc.umu.se)
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 11:47:39 +0100 (MET)

On Thu, 28 Jan 1999, Shaun Wilson wrote:

> > > One of the ways in which the 2.3 cycle can be shorter is
> > > by only integrating stuff that's already being worked on
> > > and is ready by the time 2.3.0 is forked off. Then we
> > > integrate all those things within 5 revisions and start
> > > debugging. Maybe we even want to distribute all of those
> > > things in one big patch _before_ 2.3.0 is forked off.
>
> I think rolling it all into one large patch would be a bad thing, who's
> going to oversee integration? Linus. woudl you want to stare at upwards
> of 1 megs of diffs spread across 5 revisions?

Nope, that would be torture for Linus... At least unless they were neatly
explained and separated into categories & non-interdependant.

> I think if anything like that was done, only dependant features should be
> rolled. if something doesn't depend on anotehr fetaure, it should remain
> a sole feature for Linus to look over (or whoever would be maintainer)

I believe that the most important thing for a such list would be to debate
the future of the kernel and its features, NOT to bounce patches/code.
Until we have actually come up with nice concepts, it's too early to
implement anyway. And I think that Linus need to participate to stop the
meaningless ideas. After all, if the ideas doesn't pass Linus, it won't
get into the kernel in the first place anyway...

/David
_ _
// David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /> Northern lights wander \\
// Project MCA Linux hacker // Dance across the winter sky //
\> http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/ </ Full colour fire </