Re: Shared memory segment > 1gb

Jason Froebe (jfroebe@sybase.com)
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 17:32:23 -0600

--------------03FEC94B406D698DBC8E2130

Jason Froebe wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get a shared memory segment of just under 2 gb. So
> far, I've been able to get a 893mb shared segment by altering the
> _SHM_IDX_BITS to 18 in include/asm/shmparam.h using the 2.2.0
> kernel. I'm assuming I can set the _SHM_IDX_BITS to 19 without a
> problem (more overhead though), but since this is my "working"
> computer, I don't want any surprises. is this possible without
> breaking something? I glanced at the code but didn't see any
> obvious "gotchas".
>
> Don't ask why I don't use multiple segments. It's not my
> decision.
>
> Jason
>
> - jfroebe.vcf

Hi,

I've increased the _SHM_IDX_BITS to 19 and decreased _SHM_ID_BITS to
5 with SHMMAX set to 2gb - 2*page size but it didn't help. I'm
still stuck at 893mb.

Does anyone know of how to increase the shared memory segment
further without using multiple segments?

Thanks

Jason

--------------03FEC94B406D698DBC8E2130

begin:vcard
n:Froebe;Jason
tel;fax:773-864-7288
tel;work:1-800-8SYBASE
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.sybase.com
org:Sybase, Inc.;Technical Support
adr:;;8755 W. Higgins Road Suite 1000 ;Chicago;IL;60631;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:jfroebe@sybase.com
title:Technical Support Engineer
x-mozilla-cpt:;20256