Re: I will _not_ start accepting patches!

David Weinehall (tao@acc.umu.se)
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 20:51:11 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 27 Jan 1999, Linus Torvalds wrote:

[snip]

> 2.2.0 may be out, but we're still in "serious bugfixes only" mode - and
> will be so for all of the 2.2.x series until I open up 2.3.x. I'm not
> interested in patches unless you can clearly show that the patches fix a
> _serious_ bug.

How serious is _serious_?

> Basically, I don't expect to release a 2.2.1 in several weeks, unless
> something _really_ bad comes up. And even then, 2.2.1 will just be a
> serious fix release - there is absolutely no point in sending me patches
> now that you wouldn't have sent for 2.2.0-final.

Sounds reasonable.

[snip]

> In short: let us find the _real_ problems first. Further development is
> stopped intil that happens, because I'm NOT willing to have any new
> interactions until all the old ones are resolved.

Sounds like a fully ok solution.

The main issue is, however: when will v2.3.x be opened up? Maybe we should
have some kind of wild wish-list/death-list brainstorm here before v2.3.x
opens up?

I'd really like to know what you believe to be the main-issues that we
need to deal with in v2.3, and what the schedule should be for it.

Personally, I think that the development time for v2.3 must be
significantly shorter than the one for v2.1, and more focused on a narrow
set of important improvements, apart from obvious bugfixes and new
drivers.

/David Weinehall
_ _
// David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /> Northern lights wander \\
// Project MCA Linux hacker // Dance across the winter sky //
\> http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/ </ Full colour fire </