Re: SMP&APM Questions

Stephen Rothwell (Stephen.Rothwell@canb.auug.org.au)
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 11:56:53 +1100 (EST)

> From: <kernel@duct.ml.org>
> Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 04:11:32 +1100
>
> I notcied in the release about 2.2.0 that some APM features have been
> enabled on SMP machines becuase they are safe to use (soft power off and
> the like I guess). What I don't see is how to enable this. I have an SMP
> PII system and it still gives me an APM disabled message even when I only
> have soft power enabled.

Use the source, Keith :-)

You need to pass the kernel apm=smp-power-off at boot time. I did it this
way so that it is hard to do by default, as it is not strictly safe - it
just seems to work for lots of folks. I figured if I made it so
hard to do by accident, the Linus would actually add it to the
standard kernel :-)

Cheers,
Stephen Stephen.Rothwell@canb.auug.org.au