Re: Internal Modems

ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 12:03:56 +0100

On Tue, Jan 26, 1999 at 01:12:30PM +0100, Olaf Titz wrote:

> > Um, did the "Win" in "WinModem" not point something out to you? ;-)
>
> There's too much hardware sold already which has "Win" in the name
> only to attract people, like those "WinTV" cards which work perfectly
> under Linux. I'd prefer to buy non-"Win" hardware but if they are the
> cheapest or only around...

A couple of hardware companies have started to actually design things for
WNT thus giving the three words ``designed for windows'' more meaning than
just advertisment. For some hardware this means that the requirement of
64kb pages was loosenend to 4kb pages. So ``Designed for Windows'' may
actually even mean something positive for the non-windows world at times.
This probably also implies that NT also has some trouble with large pages ...

Ralf