Re: kmalloc

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
27 Jan 1999 21:15:45 GMT

In article <m105ZNp-0007U1C@the-village.bc.nu>,
Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
>> Add to that Alan's mistake this morning about phys_to_virt() etc. and I
>> think we have a clear pattern: these people aren't dummies, so we can't
>> blame them, there just isn't adequate documentation.
>
>Partly its stuff that changes over time.
>
>As to "where is the documentation". Please do help with that, the Linux
>Documentation project has a free kernel internals book in progress. Dave
>Rusling has done some superb work on it but many hands make light work.

Actually, all of this (including the special case of not needing
ioremap() for the legacy ISA area) _is_ documented.

See

linux/Documentation/IO-mapping.txt

which has all this explained (and expressly _does_ mention that you
should _never_ care about physical addresses in any normal case).

So this time we can't blame the documentation: this is one of the few
things I _did_ sit down and write documentation for (it's probably just
about the only file in the Documentation subdirectory that is actually
written by me).

Linus