Re: 2.2.0 SECURITY

Jeremy Fitzhardinge (jeremy@goop.org)
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 13:26:24 -0800 (PST)

On 27-Jan-99 Michael Elizabeth Chastain wrote:
> Back in 1.3.XX I noticed a bunch of bugs in binfmt_elf.c like the ones
> you report. Somebody cleaned up most of them a long time, but basically,
> Eric Youngdale wrote bad code. I don't say this lightly. He wrote the
> original xconfig parser too, which has caused me a lot of grief.

Eric wrote the executable loader, but I wrote the core dumper. Most of the
parts Dave is complaining about were cribbed from the a.out core dumper. I'm
not using that as a defence, because it's not pretty code, but it's not actively
broken. Neither of Dave's direct comments are true, by the way: it does do the
right cleanups on error and there's nothing to be gained by holding the core
file's semaphore while writing the file.

That said, I'll give it a going over in the next day or so.