Re: PROBLEM: Kernel 2.2.0 destroyed filesystem

Vladimir Dergachev (vdergach@sas.upenn.edu)
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 00:19:39 -0500 (EST)

I think this is a result of improper UDMA on your system (it got
introduced right after 2.0.34). You have to disable it - look
in kernel documentation and also the flag ENABLE_DEFAULT_DMA or something
similar. Basically data is getting corrupted on the way from controller to
drive - not good at all.

For test try to mount you system readonly from floppy and running hdparm
to turn DMA flag on and off.

Vladimir Dergachev