Re: Finally the 2.2.0 is out of sight :-).

Oliver Xymoron (oxymoron@waste.org)
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 22:02:58 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 27 Jan 1999, Marcin Dalecki wrote:

> What I'm thinking about is porting the kernel to run
> as a *compleatly* *normal* user level process. Something along those
> lines had been already imeplemnted by prof. Switzer at Univeristy of
> Goettingen.
> What he had done was in fact a pseudo micro kernel implemented
> as a UNIX programm running on a file containing his file system.
> It was called TUNIX. (ftp to ftp.gwdg.de will
> show where to find it.)

I suggested something similar a while back but I realized it had
conceptual problems. Presumably your user-mode kernel would want to run
binaries for the same arch it was built for, and have a way to reroute
syscalls to the pseudo-kernel rather than the real kernel. That in itself
is pretty ugly. Worse yet, I see no obvious way for this 'user-mode'
kernel to do the necessary memory remapping it would need for its
processes. Being run inside of the same real process, they would have the
same view on memory.