Re: Linux-2.2.0-final and bootp problems

David Wragg (dpw@doc.ic.ac.uk)
27 Jan 1999 00:21:02 +0000

Donald Giuliano <cape4000@ou.edu> writes:
> [snip]
> Whenever I compile a kernel later that the 2.0.* series, everything
> seems to work wonderfully, except for bootp. Upon bootup the
> kernel runs through all the system checks/startups as usual, but
> when it attempts to configure eth0 with bootp, this is what I get:
>
> SIOCSIFBRDADDR: Cannot assign requested address
> SIOCSIFNETMASK: Cannot assign requested address
> Sending bootp request
> No bootp response recieved -- not configuring device eth0.
>
> [snip]
>
> Any ideas as to what the problem is and how to fix it will be greatly
> appreciated, and thanks in advance!

2.0 supported the net interface 0.0.0.0 IP address convention (meaning
the kernel should accept all IP packets). 2.[12] don't, hence things
like many bootp/dhcp configurations which used this feature break.

The proper fix is to modify bootp/dhcp clients to accomplish the same
thing using raw sockets instead. I think dhcpcd
(<URL:http://www.phystech.com/download/dhcpcd.html>) already works
this way, but bootpc hasn't been updated yet.

There are a couple of interim fixes you can try:

- bootp/dhcp requests can have a flag set asking the server to
broadcast the reply. bootp/dhcp clients can be modified to use this;
these changes are much smaller than the proper fix. The downside is
that it increases the number of broadcast packets on the network, and
it requires changes to the scripts running bootp (the "ifconfig $if
0.0.0.0 ..." commands will still give the "Cannot assign requested
address" errors, so must be removed). See
<URL:http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/linux/bootpc/>

- Use my 0.0.0.0 nostalgia patch, from
<URL:http://www-dse.doc.ic.ac.uk/~dpw/stuff/2.2.0-bootp.patch>. It
restores the old feature, so no changes are needed outside the
kernel. It's a convenient temporary measure until fixed
clients/scripts are available.

Hope this helps,
Dave Wragg