Re: Linux-2.2.0 bad VM behaviour "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdc bs=256k"

Andi Kleen (ak@muc.de)
26 Jan 1999 23:00:13 +0100

In article <4.1.19990126173526.00a60390@mail.helsinki.prihateam.fi>,
petri@prihateam.fi (Petri Mattila) writes:
> Hi hackers,
> I guess there is something wrong with the 2.2.0 vm... when I try this:

> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdc bs=256k

> the system becomes very lazy and after a couple of seconds 'ps amx' shows that
> nearly every process has been swapped out. After a couple of minutes
> daemons just die or stop with D state. Not very good.

I have similar problems, although 2.2.0(release) seems to be better
than 2.2.0pre9. Instead of freezing the machine completely the logins
only take a long time - still looks like a brown paper bag bug to me.

-Andi